The landscape of healthcare for transgender youth in Connecticut has shifted dramatically following a recent settlement. Connecticut Children’s Medical Center has agreed to cease providing gender-affirming care to minors, a decision that has left many families in a state of uncertainty. This agreement comes amidst a broader national debate over the rights and healthcare options for transgender individuals.
The Justice Department announced the settlement on Friday, marking Connecticut Children’s as the third medical institution to reach such an agreement with the Trump administration. The hospital will also pay a penalty and allocate $500,000 to provide care for individuals who claim to have been harmed by gender-affirming care they previously received.
Justice Department’s Stance and Legal Implications
Associate Attorney General Stanley Woodward emphasized the department’s commitment to protecting children, stating, “The Department of Justice will stop at nothing to protect America’s children. This resolution is a reminder to hospitals, medical providers, and pharmaceutical companies that the Justice Department will vigorously enforce federal law, especially where the lives of children are endangered.”
The agreement follows a lawsuit filed by transgender patients in December, alleging that the hospital’s decision to halt care violated Connecticut state law. Additionally, attorneys with GLAD Law filed civil rights complaints against both Connecticut Children’s Medical Center and Yale New Haven Health accusing them of unlawfully cutting off gender-affirming medical care for transgender patients under 19.
The hospital’s decision to stop providing care came after President Donald Trump issued an executive order banning federal support for gender-affirming care for minors. Justice Department officials told the Hartford Courant that the institution potentially violated the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act and the False Claims Act by providing such care. The administration has threatened institutions with the loss of federal funding, including Medicare and Medicaid payments, if they refuse to comply.
Connecticut Children’s Medical Center’s Response
In a statement to the Hartford Courant Connecticut Children’s acknowledged the settlement, emphasizing their commitment to patient privacy and compliance with federal and state laws. “We can confirm we have reached a resolution that allows our organization to remain focused on our mission of improving the health and well-being of children,” the health system said. “Most importantly, patient privacy remained our foremost concern throughout this process, and we were able to resolve this matter without disclosing any protected patient information to the US government.”
The hospital also reiterated its compliance with all relevant laws, stating, “We have complied and will continue to comply with all federal and state laws. We have no additional comment beyond the information contained in today’s DOJ announcement.”
The Broader Context of Gender-Affirming Care
The settlement comes amid a broader national crackdown on gender-affirming care, supported by every major medical association in the United States. This care includes a range of therapies, such as psychological, behavioral, and medical interventions, with surgeries for minors being exceedingly rare. According to a 2026 Harvard study, cisgender minors and adults were far more likely to undergo analogous gender-affirming surgeries than their transgender counterparts.
Despite medical guidance, Republicans have sought to restrict and ban gender-affirming care, spreading misinformation about such treatment. Upon returning to the White House, President Trump implemented a series of policies targeting transgender Americans, including an executive order recognizing only male and female as sexes and stating that they are “not changeable.” Eight days later, he signed another executive order directing federal agencies to withhold funds from medical providers offering gender-affirming care to anyone under the age of 19.
In December, the Department of Health and Human Services announced proposed rules that would ban hospitals from performing gender-affirming care on minors as a condition of participating in Medicare and Medicaid programs. The Connecticut Children’s agreement follows similar agreements reached by Texas Children’s and the Cleveland Clinic with the Justice Department to stop providing gender-affirming care to minors.



