Skip to content
24 August 2026

Trump’s Trade Policies Face Legal and Financial Challenges

President Donald Trump's tariff strategy is facing significant setbacks as the government begins reimbursing companies for higher import fees.

Trump's Trade Policies Face Legal and Financial Challenges

The Trump administration‘s tariff policies are under intense scrutiny as the government starts reimbursing companies for higher import fees. This move comes after a series of legal challenges and financial repercussions that have put the president’s trade agenda in jeopardy.

The U.S. Court of International Trade recently revealed that the government has allocated approximately $100 billion for companies affected by Trump’s tariffs. As of July 31, the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) entity responsible for tracking and delivering tariff refunds had received over 252,000 refund declarations for 25.1 million import entries.

Legal Challenges and Financial Repercussions

The reimbursement figure, though substantial, does not cover the entire amount the Trump administration owes. According to another legal filing, the government generated roughly $166 billion from the tariffs. This means the government is currently repaying about 60 percent of what it owes, with significantly more funds still to be disbursed.

The filing was submitted in response to a class action lawsuit brought by a coalition of small businesses that suffered under Trump’s tariff plans. These businesses claim that there are still obstacles to obtaining the refunds they are legally owed through the CBP.

Supreme Court Ruling and Legal Battles

Trump’s tariffs were a major policy point during his second term. However, the Supreme Court ruled in February that his tariff plan, introduced under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act was beyond the power of his office. This ruling effectively dismantled the president’s foreign and economic agendas in one fell swoop.

Despite the setbacks, Trump has been trying to spin his costly, unconstitutional tolls as a win. During an interview with Fox News, he stated, “Tariffs have been incredible. We’ve taken in hundreds of billions of dollars. Supreme Court gave us a little shot, but we’re allowed to do it in a different manner.”

However, Trump’s other unconventional tariff attempts are also facing legal challenges. Last month, he was sued mere hours after attempting to invoke new duties under Section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974. Economic law scholars told CNBC that this move would likely not pass muster with the courts since the president is “using the statute in a fundamentally different way.”

SpaceX Rocket Crash and NASA’s Response

In a separate but notable event, a part of a SpaceX rocket crashed into the moon on Wednesday morning, with the impact of three tons of TNT. The crash sent up a big cloud of dust and left a new crater on the moon’s surface. Images of the impact may take days to appear from ground telescopes and satellites orbiting the moon. The SpaceX rocket is from a Falcon 9 spacecraft that was carrying a lunar lander to the Moon last January.

When asked about the explosion on Fox News, NASA Administrator Jared Isaacman was dismissive, crediting SpaceX with recovering 600 of its rockets in other cases. He said this explosion wasn’t a big deal in terms of space trash. “It’s very infrequent to have things like the Falcon 9 second stage crash into the moon,” Isaacman said. “It’s not a big deal right now, the moon has clearly seen better days.”

Isaacman then pivoted to discussing how reusable rockets would soon be landing on the moon to help “contribute to the city block you’re trying to build on the surface.” Isaacman has a close business relationship with Elon Musk, having financed SpaceX missions in the past, and wants to carry out Musk and President Trump’s dreams of building a base on the moon.

Space debris is a growing problem from increased rocket launches and could become a major issue if any important satellites are damaged. If more of Musk’s SpaceX rockets veer out of control, his moon base plans could hit a major snag.

Trump’s Legal Battle with the BBC

President Trump filed an emergency motion to stop the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) from gaining broad access to intimate details about his finances. This move is the latest development in Trump’s $10 billion defamation lawsuit against the BBC, triggered by a 2026 episode of Panorama titled “Trump, a Second Chance.”

Last month, U.S. Magistrate Judge Enjoliqué Lett allowed the BBC to move forward with gaining access to the financial information of at least 400 business entities owned by Trump’s family trust. Lett set a Thursday deadline for the BBC to obtain his financial records. Now, Trump is scrambling to stop what he started from blowing up in his face.

“The BBC’s motive could not be more transparent—to wrongly exploit this litigation for its own political benefit, as well as the benefit of President Trump’s other political opponents,” the deposition read. His lawyers also accused the BBC of having “clearly political motivations.” Trump’s legal team is asking Lett to allow Trump to go back and change the language of the suit, so that his lucrative business dealings as president are not subject to public scrutiny.

The BBC has yet to respond. It seems obvious that Trump bit off more than even he can chew here. If his plea to change the discovery parameters fails, we may see him drop the lawsuit entirely.

Author

Olivia Carter

Olivia Carter writes about beauty without the hype: actual ingredients, real prices, and the gap between marketing and results. Based between London and New York.